The Photographs below show MILTON LODGE as it is today, almost 50 years since it was a school. The house was built in the late eighteenth century and acquired by a Mr Charles Tudway in the mid 1800's, it has remained remarkably unchanged since that time. The beautiful gardens were conceived by Mr Charles Tudway at the beginning of the 1900's and with the help of Parsons and Partridge, garden designers, work commenced. The work was completed well before the first world war and the terraced layout, much of the planting and Summerhouse have remained to this day.
After the second world war the house and grounds were rented to a Mr J.A.Thompson and used as a boarding school for boys. It was known as Milton Lodge School for Boys. Unfortunately in the late 1950's the founder and headmaster died and the school had to close, the house and grounds reverting to the Tudway family. After the death of Captain Lionel Tudway in the early 1960's, the property passed to a nephew, Mr David Tudway Quilter, and he has been responsible for restoring the gardens and grounds to their former glory and opening them to the public. All these recent photographs were taken by the Graham brothers, one time pupils, on a visit to Milton Lodge Gardens in 1999.
If you are in the area do please visit MILTON LODGE GARDENS on the outskirts of WELLS.
If you attended Milton Lodge School for Boys please E-m@il me with your reminiscences or pictures.
The Graham brothers, one time students of Milton Lodge School, standing outside the french windows that gave access to the headmaster's study. The windows above were the senior dormitory. The french windows on the left of the photo gave access to the dining room and the windows over were matron's room. Between was the senior classroom and above the middle school dormitory.
SENIOR SCHOOL CLASSROOM.
The Graham brothers resting! The three windows behind the seat were the senior school classroom. The window on the right is where the author secretly took the picture of Miss Naomi and Tommy the headmaster!.
THE SUMMER HOUSE.
This building, built as a Summer house, was used as our cricket pavilion. The scorers sat above behind the window and the lower area was used as a place of refuge for exhausted players and to shelter from the rain! The swimming pool in the foreground is a recent addition - nothing like that in our day! The main school buildings can be seen in the background, the roof of the old coach house and stables can also be seen in the lower background..
THE SUMMER HOUSE.
Another view of the Summer House. Behind and to the right can be seen the terraced gardens. The terrace immediatly behind the pavilion was the rose garden.
THE OLD SCHOOL ENTRANCE.
This is the old school entrance and the first view of the house visitors would see when approaching from the access driveway. Immediatly behind the cars was the headmaster's study and above the senior dormitory. To the right was the school sanitorium and below, the main entrance. For small boys, seeing this for the first time, it was an imposing view of their new school; surrounded by great Cedar trees, with dense woodland to the right and spectular views away over the city of Wells to the south.